Private Blood Test at Medical Express Clinic in Harley Street, London
For those who are needle-phobic, having a blood test can be daunting. Even for those of us who don't have a particular fear, undergoing a test is not likely to be something we look forward to.
We thought we would give you some tips for making your blood test as easy and pain free as possible.
- Different tests have different requirements so you should always make sure to know whether you are supposed to fast before your test. If you do have to fast, you should not eat or drink for between eight to twelve hours before your test. That includes chewing gum or even a breath mint! Water to drink is fine however. The night before, you can have dinner and then no breakfast and just water to drink. It is best to fast fr 12 hours prior to your test.
- It is a good idea to drink a lot of water the night before your test and on the morning of your test, so that you are not dehydrated, and blood can be taken easier.
- Get to the clinic early so that it will not be long before you can eat and drink again. There is nothing worse than feeling faint from lack of food.
- Make sure you bring any paper work with you that provides details of the test that you are going to have, if we are performing phlebotomy service for you, and are not ordering the tests here at the clinic.
- Once you are in the care of the phlebotomist they will take your blood. They will probably ask from which arm you would like to have the blood taken. A tourniquet will be applied to the arm to make the vein more apparent. It may take a little while to get a vein to co-operate but phlebotomists are very experienced and they know what they are doing!
- Keep breathing! You might find it difficult to be relaxed while you are having blood taken, but try. Some patients find is easier to look away as their blood is being taken.
- A plaster will be placed on the site of the blood taking and you should not remove it before the time that the phlebotomist tells you to. Even if you think there is no bleeding, take the bandage off too soon and you might bruise.
- All done! It is important now to refuel to get you back on form after your blood test. Have a good drink and something to eat, and then get on with your day!
This way, Private Blood Test in London at Medical Express Clinic is always a fearless experience.