An allergist has found patients to diagnose and treat different medical problems, starting from allergies to lupus and other immune system disorders. The one thing that always surprises him is how patients are willing to “just live” with these symptoms like a rash or mild swelling from an allergic reaction. Though they are living in such discomfort for a long time, they assume these symptoms to be normal and so, they do not seek for an opinion from a dermatologist. Read on to know some reasons you may be feeling itchy even though there are no rashes on your body.
1. You do not apply moisturizer properly – Dry skin is a good reason behind being itchy.Your skin appearance when you feel itchy before touching it and making it red by scratching can help you to know if you have dry skin that requires constant moisture.Your untouched and dry skin seems to be pale. If you feel itchy in spots that do coincide with a visible rash, then you might have another skin problem such as dermatitis or psoriasis.
2. You are taking a new medication – Your body itchiness might start after you take a new medication. Certain medications such as stains blood pressure-lowering medications and opioids are known to evoke an itchy sensation that is not accompanied by skin lesions. In some cases, the itchiness will not occur once you stop taking the drug. You may consultation with a private doctor in London if the beginning of your itchiness may correlate with a new medication that you take.
3. You have an under active or overactive thyroid gland – Body itchiness is a common symptom related for hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism. However, itchiness would probably occur with common thyroid-related symptoms such as change in weight, fatigue and appetite. Your primary care physician may perform a blood test to detect any abnormality of thyroid function and possibly a physical examination of thyroid gland to check for tenderness or swelling.
4. You have some problem with the kidneys – Pruritus may be a sign of kidney disease that usually occurs when the disease is at an advanced stage. The kidneys are responsible for filtering blood and removing excessive toxins and fluids from the body. But when they do not function properly, the blood might be filled with high amount of waste that could not be filtered out.Know where you feel itchy on your body as people with itchiness related to kidney disease usually feel the itchiest on their back. It is not abnormal for them to feel itchy on their abdomen, head and arms.
5. You have a problem with your pancreas or liver – Cholestas is is a condition that takes place when there is an issue with the flow of bile in the body. It can be tied to certain pancreatic or liver diseases or occur when there is some problem with the bile duct. When cholestasis happens, the waste product called bilirubin enters into the bloodstream. This may lead to itchiness, probably due to bilirubin build up in the skin.Cholestasis may also occur when you are pregnant particularly in the third trimester. Cholestasis of pregnancy can be risky or life-threatening for the baby and so, it is crucial to get constant itchiness checked by your physician.
6. You have got a pinched nerve – Pinched nerve may stimulate numbness or sensation that some people consider as itchiness. The itchy feeling might not occur directly where the pinched nerve is located. If you feel tingly near the upper forearm area, then it might occur due to nerve compression in the neck. You may also be dealing with brachioradial pruritus that is characterized by a “burning” or tingling in the forearm, neck or shoulder.Cold compresses applied to the area might be helpful to relieve the discomfort,however itchiness might persist as long as the nerve issue does itself.
7. It is associated with serious underlying illness – Cancer is not something common for itchiness, but certain kinds of cancer such as pancreatic cancer, lymphoma and blood cancers are linked with this symptom. In some cases, unusual body itchiness may lead to cancer diagnosis. People with HIV or human immunodeficiency virus can manage itchiness with or without a rash on their body. This can be due to some virus or side effect of medication.
You certainly deserve to feel comfortable and itchiness is probably very frustrating that can mess with your ability to sleep as well as affect overall quality of life. Thus, get proper treatment for the ongoing itchiness as a symptom that requires medical attention. Visit Medical Express Clinic where the skin specialists can help you with itchiness so that you can get clear skin.
HPV Vaccine: Learn about its unknown Facts03 Mar, 2020
About Coronavirus and What to do with its Symptoms20 Feb, 2020
The ABCs of Hormonal Replacement Therapy21 Jan, 2020